UK’s IT pros not learning fast enough to manage their environments
If the current IT workforce is to keep up with the pace of innovation, there will need to be some significant changes.
That’s according to findings from a new research report from SolarWinds – IT Trends Report 2019: Skills for Tech Pros of Tomorrow – which is based on a survey fielded in December 2018, with responses from 174 technology practitioners, managers, and directors in the United Kingdom from public-and private-sector small, mid-size, and enterprise companies.
The study delves into the state of skills and career development for technology professionals, to reveal they have one foot secure in today’s hybrid IT existence while also keeping an eye on emerging technologies.
Specifically, UK tech pros have prioritised systems and infrastructure, security management, and hybrid IT skills development in the past year. When it comes to the next three to five years, they are looking to develop skills in areas like artificial intelligence (AI) and big data analytics, while eyeing career paths such as data science and coding.
Despite this, the study found that without an easing of current time and budget constraints, 70 percent of UK respondents believe they will be unable to confidently manage their IT environments by 2024. Furthermore, 78 percent of respondents revealed they lack the time to train for new skills.
SolarWinds global chief technology officer and executive vice president Joe Kim says recent history has proven that there is a direct correlation between technology and business performance.
“The results of this year’s IT Trends Report highlight that businesses need to focus even more on developing these professionals charged with running and pioneering technologies for the businesses,” says Kim.
“By removing day-to-day barriers, arming technology pros with the right technology and management tools, and prioritising skills and career development in the IT budget, tech pros can be better equipped for the future and help with business growth.”
Kim says the findings are also in line with the company’s view that the most critical problem they need to help tech pros solve today is the reality of the hybrid IT landscape—this applies to all tech pros whether on-premises, managing hybrid infrastructures, SaaS-based, or MSPs.
Some of the key findings from the report include:
- 70 percent of all tech pros surveyed are not “completely confident” in having all the necessary skills to successfully manage their IT environments over the next three to five years – despite 97 percent having worked to develop a skill over the past 12 months.
- When it comes to the idea of implementing or managing specific technologies, emerging tech is a pain point, with AI, blockchain, and machine and/or deep learning the top three.
- In the past 12 months, tech pros have prioritised skills in hybrid IT deployment monitoring and management (48 percent), systems and infrastructure management (43 percent), and security management (41 percent).
- In the next three to five years, the top three skills tech pros plan to develop are security management, data science and analytics, and hybrid IT deployment, monitoring, and management.
- Tech pros say the most important technologies for their career development are by weighted rank cloud and/or hybrid IT (67 percent), automation and/or orchestration (48 percent), AI (51 percent), followed by Internet of Things (IoT) and SIEM and/or threat intelligence.
- In terms of career development goals over the next three to five years, tech pros will look to prioritise (by weighted rank) technology innovation (61 percent), strategic planning (49 percent), and management/leadership skills (41 percent).
- Nearly eight in 10 tech pros (78 percent) say their day-to-day IT tasks extend into time earmarked for career development, with 33 percent saying this always happens.
- Currently, tech pros engage in IT skills training and/or career development programs ranging from a few times a year (32 percent) to monthly (23 percent), quarterly (13 percent), and annually (13 percent).
- In terms of primary sources for training, the three most popular avenues tech pros turn to are industry events/tradeshows (22 percent, online communities/forums (22 percent), and vendor training sessions (19 percent). However, the preferred delivery formats are full-day in-person workshops/user conferences, self-guided online courses, and webinars.
- IAM Product/ Project Manager
- Upto €80,000 plus benefits
IAM product/project manager is need for this expanding service provider to help develop their IAM (CIAM) strategy roadmap. This role will have two main functions, to work between the front end digital team and the backend IAM development team to ensure that the current deployment of the solution runs smoothly and is fit for purpose, the Second function is to look at the business’ future digital offerings and to understand how the IAM/CIAM solution will develop with the new digital strategy, you will be looking at the future technology and the ensuring the IAM solution is fit for purpose. The business is an agile environment and you will require agile experience. This is a great opportunity to help shape a key product within the future digital strategy of this expanding service provider. We are looking for someone with both IAM and strong product management experience Project management experience would be beneficial. If you are interested speak to Robert Anderton on 0044 (0) 7957 493501 and he will be able to discuss the role in more details IAM product/project manager is needed for this expanding service provider to help develop their IAM (CIAM) strategy roadmap. This role will have two main functions, to work between the front end digital team and the backend IAM development team to ensure that the current deployment of the solution runs smoothly and is fit for purpose, the second function is to look at the business’ future digital offerings and to understand how the IAM/CIAM solution will develop with the new digital strategy, you will be looking at the future technology and the ensuring the IAM solution is fit for purpose. The business is an agile environment and you will require agile experience. This is a great opportunity to help shape a key product within the future digital strategy of this expanding service provider. We are looking for someone with both IAM and strong product management experience Project management experience would be beneficial. If you are interested then speak to Robert Anderton on 0044 (0) 7957 493501 and he will be able to discuss the role in more details
- Cyber Incident Manager, Proactive planning and management. SC
Cyber Incident Manager, Proactive planning and management. Cyber incident Manager needed to join a large and complex business to help them prepare for a cyber related incidents. SC clearance will be required. Current or the ability to achieve. This role does not require specific current hands on technical Incident response experience, but this background would give a distinct advantage. The role has two key functions: to help the business prepare for an event and to steer them through when / if that happens. The Cyber Incident response managers role will include, but not be limited to; working with internal stakeholders to develop a security incident management plan along with its and supporting policies. Developing plans and implementing strategies on how incidents are detected, reported, assessed and responded to. Engaging with leadership teams both internal and external, proactively mapping out this large business to identify and engage the various other stakeholders and their teams. Build out and document incident scenarios and their processes, ensure incident management procedures are updated, playbooks and key training etc. You should have experience working with both internal teams and external suppliers. The role will also focus on liaising with the various teams to ensure the security incident response plan is delivered effectively. CCIM, GCIH, CIPR (NCSC-Certified Cyber Incident Planning & Response) Looking to interview immediately.
- SOC Manager. SC Clearance. Immediate opportunity.
Permanent SOC Manager. SC cleared / clearable, London / Birmingham. SOC Manager needed to replace a SOC contractor I placed into a client who is due to complete their assignment at the end of March. The ability to achieve SC clearance is essential. Looking for someone that is a blend of strategic stakeholder engagement with strong technical skills. The role will sit in a relatively new SOC environment. The position is to setup, implementation and management of resources to help with the initial and on-going stages of a new SOC. Experience engaging with and managing client stakeholder relationships as well as 3rd party relationships is critical. The role will involve; setting up, implementing and fine tuning the various initial stages of a SOC environment. Experience establishing and building out technical process / operational capability, managing of technical teams (analysts, engineers and architects, creation of policy / playbooks, fine turning is key. SPLUNK is the tooling of choice… Interviewing immediately. Set up a call with me today on https://calendly.com/chris-holt/arranged-call-with-chris-holt-soc-manager-role Direct contact details Chris.Holt@dclsearch.com or 07884666351
- Security engineer. Financial Services. UK. Permanent
CH7863 Security engineer. End User . Financial Services Security Engineer needed to monitor and manage a security suite of tools within an End User environment. The Security Engiener will be responsible monitoring, configuring, fine tuning, incident management and generally improving the security tool capability. Specific experience with CyberArk, Tripwire Log Center and Tripwire Enterprise is highly desirable). Current experience with Vulnerability management and penetration testing is highly desirable. Specifically the ability to effectively manage 3rd party pen tests. You will be working within a specialist security team reporting to the CISO. Experience working within an end user environment within financial services is highly desirable. Flexible location. This is an exclusive role to DCL Search & Selection. To book a call please use my Calendy link https://calendly.com/chris-holt/arranged-call-with-chris-holt-soc-role-