When a job isn't really a job
I have personally recruited into the Cyber Security industry for 15 years and I have sadly witnessed a significant number of companies posting fake jobs across the various platforms, especially over 2020.
I wanted to explain some of the different types of fake jobs, why they exist and how you can qualify them quickly.
- An algorithm reposting old jobs from companies that no longer exist. At the time of writing this article there is a part time Payroll Administrator for 2e2 in the UK. That company doesn't exist in the UK, something isn’t quite right here.
- Companies (not recruiters) posting job advert to collecting candidate applications for potential future employment. Often stating they are creating a pool of candidates.
- This is a grey area as personal data should not be kept longer than is necessary for the particular purpose for which it is being retained. How, where, why and for how long is the data being held?
- Less than legitimate recruiters posting a fake jobs to attract candidate CV’s so they can pitch them out to the market. Imagine the impression if one or more ‘recruiter’ sends your CV out to the same companies.
- I don’t actively use job boards, however the www.DCLsearch.com is indexed / scrapped, probably via google, and some of our roles are posted on the various job board platforms. No idea why or how and I certainly don’t pay for it.
- Other recruitment businesses post jobs on their website to make it look like they are busy. Those jobs are indexed / scrapped and also posted on job boards- Their replies go un answered as they don’t exit.
- A company is hiring but has a purple squirrel wish list as long as your arm and aren’t exactly clear what they want. Can be a waste of time.
The simplest and often quickest way to clarify if a role is real is is to call the company that is advertising for the position. Being proactive will give you a better chance in being selected for interview then just waiting for the internal HR team to sift through the many hundreds of applications.
If you have any other tips please do comment and share.
- CONTRACT SOC Manager. London / Birmingham. URGENT Immediate role.
REF7847 Contract SOC Manager. SC cleared, London / Birmingham. Initial 3 month Contract. SOC Manager needed to for an URGENT 3-4 month CONTRACT. SC clearance is essential. The project is to aid in the setup, implementation and management of resources to help with the initial stand up stages of a new SOC within a greenfield site. This is a short term contract role whilst a permanent hire is brought on over the coming 3 to 4 months. Experience engaging with and managing client stakeholder relationships as well as 3rd party relationships is critical. The role will involve; setting up, implementing and fine tuning the various initial stages of a SOC environment. Experience establishing and building out technical process / operational capability, managing of technical teams (analysts, engineers and architects, creation of policy / playbooks, fine turning is key. SPLUNK is the tooling of choice… Interviewing immediately. Set up a call with me today on https://calendly.com/chris-holt/arranged-call-with-chris-holt-remote-soc-role Direct contact details Chris.Holt@dclsearch.com or 07884666351
- SPLUNK Level 3 SOC Consultant, SIEM Splunk, London / Birmingham
REF CH7825 Level 3 SOC Consultant, SIEM Splunk, London / Birmingham £55,000 + Level 3 SOC Consultant, SIEM SPLUNK needed. Security Clearance. Permanent role Level 3 SOC Consultant, SIEM SPLUNK needed to join a public sector client. The ability to achieve SC clearance is essential. MUST have experience working with SPLUNK ideally to an Advanced Power User level. Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) knowledge and hands on experience highly desirable. The role will include, but not be limited to; managing and handling incidents end to end, supporting and mentoring level 1 / level 2 staff, supporting the SOC manager in the delivery of the SOC roadmap, engaging with the client stakeholders (other technical teams) as and where needed, use case development, advanced search and reporting etc. The individual MUST currently be living in the UK and be able to achieve UK security clearance. (SC) This is a permanent role To arrange a call with Chris Holt use this calendy link https://calendly.com/chris-holt/arranged-call-with-chris-holt-remote-soc-role Chris.Holt@dclsearch.com
- Aspiring Cyber Partner. Business lead, market maker.
Aspiring Cyber Partner (management consultancy) with Cyber specialism into Healthcare, Utilities and or Public Sector. Working with new and existing clients to help them solve, transform or evolve their cyber capabilities. MUST have; A proven management consultancy background in cyber. A history of identifying and closing new business opportunities. Currently Revenue generating / must be able to demonstrate recent wins. Client facing to board level with international businesses. Team leadership / mentoring experience. Extensive cyber industry experience. Digital transformation, Start-up environments etc. Experienced presenter at industry events, to be the public face of a business / capability. Breadth of knowledge across Cyber security. Service definition / creation. Would consider a senior director with experience delivering the above looking to step up. All conversations kept in confidence. To arrange a discreet call book a time to speak in my diary via https://calendly.com/chris-holt/cyber-partner-call Chris.Holt@dclsearch.com
- Internal Security Auditor, Level 1 Service Provider (ISO27001)
- Upto 65,000 plus benefits
Internal Security Auditor ISO 27001, PCI, needed to join a Cyber team within this expanding Fintech business. The Internal Security Auditor will have end to end responsibility for planning, delivering, remediating any findings etc. Experience working within financial services is highly desirable. This Is a great time to join a newly formed and growing Cyber team within a rapidly expanding fintech, that is taking a major share of its market. We are looking for someone with experience, (but not to be limited to) a mix of Information Security standards, frameworks, audit principles, controls / policies and the management and use of the technical tooling etc. ISO 22301, ISO 27001, NIST Cybersecurity Framework etc An ideal candidate will be working within an end user environment with a cyber consultancy background. Experience taking a company through accreditation is highly desirable Experience managing internal stakeholders, technical teams and external third parties essential Flexible working, but with the ability to get into London. This is an exclusive role to DCL Search & Selection.