When a job isn't really a job
I have personally recruited into the Cyber Security industry for 15 years and I have sadly witnessed a significant number of companies posting fake jobs across the various platforms, especially over 2020.
I wanted to explain some of the different types of fake jobs, why they exist and how you can qualify them quickly.
- An algorithm reposting old jobs from companies that no longer exist. At the time of writing this article there is a part time Payroll Administrator for 2e2 in the UK. That company doesn't exist in the UK, something isn’t quite right here.
- Companies (not recruiters) posting job advert to collecting candidate applications for potential future employment. Often stating they are creating a pool of candidates.
- This is a grey area as personal data should not be kept longer than is necessary for the particular purpose for which it is being retained. How, where, why and for how long is the data being held?
- Less than legitimate recruiters posting a fake jobs to attract candidate CV’s so they can pitch them out to the market. Imagine the impression if one or more ‘recruiter’ sends your CV out to the same companies.
- I don’t actively use job boards, however the www.DCLsearch.com is indexed / scrapped, probably via google, and some of our roles are posted on the various job board platforms. No idea why or how and I certainly don’t pay for it.
- Other recruitment businesses post jobs on their website to make it look like they are busy. Those jobs are indexed / scrapped and also posted on job boards- Their replies go un answered as they don’t exit.
- A company is hiring but has a purple squirrel wish list as long as your arm and aren’t exactly clear what they want. Can be a waste of time.
The simplest and often quickest way to clarify if a role is real is is to call the company that is advertising for the position. Being proactive will give you a better chance in being selected for interview then just waiting for the internal HR team to sift through the many hundreds of applications.
If you have any other tips please do comment and share.
- Outside IR35 Contract- SC / DV - Cloud / VMware Solution Architect
- Outside IR35
Solution Architect Contract - with active Security Clearance needed for Outside IR35 Contract London. SC / DV (must be willing to undergo DV) 6 month rolling Immediate Experience delivering technical Security Architecture design / assurance of security design. Specific experience with Cloud and VMWARE technologies Cross domain experience desirable HLD / LLD Current SC Clearance a must. London 3 days a week Immediately interviewing.
- Contract Night Shift Senior SOC Analyst | Microsoft Defender | Outside IR35
- United Kingdom
- Outside IR35
Contract Night Shift Senior SOC Analyst | Microsoft Defender / Sentinel | Outside IR35 Looking for an experienced SOC analyst to cover a night shift SOC operation. Level 2 technical Analyst. You must have current hands on technical experience with Microsoft defender / Sentinel within a customer facing SOC environment. This is a UK based position.
- DV Cleared CyberArk Consultant- Contract
- City of London
- Upto £700 per day
CyberArk Consultant is needed to be responsible for leading the deployment of CyberArk solutions for this Secure government site You will work with customer, helping to create CyberArk Strategic Roadmaps, on-boarding accounts, product and process integration into the CyberArk Solution and Proviso of Installation and technical Documentation. We are looking for this individual to have experience in: In CyberArk deployment, and ideally leady the deployment both strategically and also technically for this project we need the consultant to hold current DV cleared status For the right individual this could be a long term project.
- CyberSecurity Portfolio manager
- upto €60,000 plus benefits
A cybersecurity rockstar with a strategic mind and a passion for building winning solutions, is required to craft a cutting-edge security portfolio for an expanding IT Services business , with the aim to develop solution & services that will protect their customers business. this role will involve, develop & implement security strategies, manage the portfolio, drive sales, and collaborate with teams across the globe. we are looking for someone with experience in managing and building a cybersecurity portfolio of service a knack for building relationships & leading diverse teams Strategic vision & the ability to translate it into action strong communication & collaboration skills