Blacklist from RiskIQ Reveals Hundreds of Potentially Malicious Black Friday Apps
Study of Web Properties of Top-10 Brands Finds More Than 6,500 Mobile Apps Are Blacklisted, Magecart on the Rise
RiskIQ, the global leader in digital risk management, released its 2018 Black Friday E-commerce Blacklist, a cyber research study analyzing the results of keyword queries of their Global Blacklist and mobile app database for the most trafficked e-commerce brands of the Thanksgiving shopping weekend in the US and UK. The results revealed the methods cyberthreat actors could employ this Black Friday shopping season, as well as where they’re targeting malicious efforts.
The report’s findings confirmed that threat actors are using these well-known brands specifically to exploit the popularity of Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping in both web and mobile:
- Of Black Friday-specific apps: more than 5 percent of mobile apps out of the 4,331 total that can be found searching “Black Friday” in global app stores is blacklisted as malicious.
- Threat actors have focused on the top five leading brands in e-commerce. These brands have a combined total of 6,600 blacklisted apps that contain their branded terms in the title or description.
- The top-10 most trafficked brands averaged over 17 blacklisted apps containing both the branded terms and “Black Friday,” in the title or description, showing clear intent by threat actors to leverage the shopping holiday.
- RiskIQ has detected an average of 89,837 monthly instances of magecart, the digital credit card-skimmer, between August and October 2018.
- The report was released as an exponentially increasing number of consumers embrace the Thanksgiving tradition of hunting for Black Friday bargains online: according to Adobe Digital Index, in 2017, online shoppers filled e-commerce cash registers with more than $19.6 billion in sales over Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But ever the opportunists, threat actors set up their operations where the money is, leveraging top e-commerce brands to exploit user traffic looking for Black Friday deals and coupons.
By setting up fake mobile apps and landing pages with fraudulent branding, they fool consumers into downloading unsafe apps and visiting pages that redirect them to other fraudulent or malicious sites. Nearly 40 percent of the massive influx of spending caused by Black Friday and Cyber Monday in 2017 took place on mobile devices, making shoppers increasingly at risk of encountering threats in the mobile space.
The source of RiskIQ’s blacklists is through the collection of internet data, which it gathers by scanning, crawling, and passive-sensing the internet—including web pages, mobile apps and stores, and social websites and apps. RiskIQ’s crawling technology covers more than 300 million mobile devices, 1.8 billion HTTP sessions, hundreds of locations across the world, 40 million mobile apps, and 600 million domain records.
Industry: Cyber Security News
- Senior Cyber Security Analyst / Engineer. Exclusive role
- United Kingdom
Senior Cyber Security Analyst / Engineer. Exclusive role Hybrid role- Travel to London once a month. ROLE Day to day operations, management and scalability of existing cyber security systems. Advanced triaging and troubleshooting security alerts. Improve tooling, reducing false positives. Improve processes and documentation Reviewing, approving, escalating security change management requests. Implementing new cyber security systems. Managing of and maturing security tooling such as; SIEM Vulnerability management Firewalls Patch management CASB Ideal technical experience Vulnerability Management: Qualys Forcepoint: CASB, DLP, web security, email security Microsoft Defender for Endpoint SIEM (Splunk) Firewalls: Cisco, Palo Alto, Juniper, Sonicwall IDS: Alert Logic Microsoft Cloud App Security Microsoft Azure ManageEngine ADAudit Plus Darktrace, Cloudflare, Cisco Umbrella, Imperva WAF Appreciation of ISO27001, GDPR, PCI, etc
- Security Operations Senior Technical Analyst, Financial Services. Exclusive to DCL Search
- 75000 + benefits
Exclusive Security Operations - Senior Technical Analyst (x2) needed within a forward thinking financial services business head quartered in London. DCL Search have been engaged on an Identifier Project to attract the very best cyber talent to this business. Influence the cyber security capability and direction within the business. Learn new skills working within a collaborative team. Grow as a security professional. ROLE Triaging and troubleshooting security alerts. Improve tooling, reducing false positives. Improve processes and documentation Reviewing, approving, escalating security change management requests. Day to day operations, management and scalability of existing cyber security systems. Implementing new cyber security systems. Managing of and maturing security tooling such as; SIEM Vulnerability management Firewalls Patch management CASB Ideal technical experience Vulnerability Management: Qualys Forcepoint: CASB, DLP, web security, email security Microsoft Defender for Endpoint SIEM (Splunk) Firewalls: Cisco, Palo Alto, Juniper, Sonicwall IDS: Alert Logic Microsoft Cloud App Security Microsoft Azure ManageEngine ADAudit Plus Darktrace, Cloudflare, Cisco Umbrella, Imperva WAF Appreciation of ISO27001, GDPR, PCI, etc 2 days a fortnight in London- or more if you want.. Hybrid reworking.
- It's Pen Testing Chris, but not as we’ve know it.
- United Kingdom
5 reasons, as long as you are a skilled penetration tester (and a nice person) this may be different enough for you. Healthy package for the right talents- before you ask up to 95k+ (depending on skillset). Yes permanent only. Remotely based with the occasional time to meet up- unless you enjoy retiring from society. BUT UK based but not UK client focused. Research and training time- A dedicated trainer with budget for you to sharpen / develop skills. You can make your stamp. It’s a new role for someone technical to deliver, lead and shape a testing capability. No political shenanigans etc Exclusive to DCL Search and not one of the usual names. So you can dramatically increase your chances of securing it. Infrastructure pen testing and Web app / Manual penetration testing experience highly valued. Someone that can scope, deliver pen testing, report and not be useless in front of clients. Apply today to find out more. Or email Chris.Holt@dclsearch.com Or call 07884666351 This is a UK based role.
- Ping Contractor-
- Depends on skills and experience
Looking for experienced PIng Consultants, Looking for consultant with Implemenation or Architect experience in the Ping product set (Ping Identity, Ping Federate, Ping Access, Ping Directory, Ping Adapter development, SDK etc) This would be for implementation projects, working across UK. You will be responsible for providing implementation services to our clients from information gathering through to implementation. Evaluating client business, process, systems, and technology requirements and advise clients on best practices to help guide and solidify proposed designs. Manage Client expectations, Stakeholder Managment, ensuring design Matches business requirements