Blacklist from RiskIQ Reveals Hundreds of Potentially Malicious Black Friday Apps
Study of Web Properties of Top-10 Brands Finds More Than 6,500 Mobile Apps Are Blacklisted, Magecart on the Rise
RiskIQ, the global leader in digital risk management, released its 2018 Black Friday E-commerce Blacklist, a cyber research study analyzing the results of keyword queries of their Global Blacklist and mobile app database for the most trafficked e-commerce brands of the Thanksgiving shopping weekend in the US and UK. The results revealed the methods cyberthreat actors could employ this Black Friday shopping season, as well as where they’re targeting malicious efforts.
The report’s findings confirmed that threat actors are using these well-known brands specifically to exploit the popularity of Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping in both web and mobile:
- Of Black Friday-specific apps: more than 5 percent of mobile apps out of the 4,331 total that can be found searching “Black Friday” in global app stores is blacklisted as malicious.
- Threat actors have focused on the top five leading brands in e-commerce. These brands have a combined total of 6,600 blacklisted apps that contain their branded terms in the title or description.
- The top-10 most trafficked brands averaged over 17 blacklisted apps containing both the branded terms and “Black Friday,” in the title or description, showing clear intent by threat actors to leverage the shopping holiday.
- RiskIQ has detected an average of 89,837 monthly instances of magecart, the digital credit card-skimmer, between August and October 2018.
- The report was released as an exponentially increasing number of consumers embrace the Thanksgiving tradition of hunting for Black Friday bargains online: according to Adobe Digital Index, in 2017, online shoppers filled e-commerce cash registers with more than $19.6 billion in sales over Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But ever the opportunists, threat actors set up their operations where the money is, leveraging top e-commerce brands to exploit user traffic looking for Black Friday deals and coupons.
By setting up fake mobile apps and landing pages with fraudulent branding, they fool consumers into downloading unsafe apps and visiting pages that redirect them to other fraudulent or malicious sites. Nearly 40 percent of the massive influx of spending caused by Black Friday and Cyber Monday in 2017 took place on mobile devices, making shoppers increasingly at risk of encountering threats in the mobile space.
The source of RiskIQ’s blacklists is through the collection of internet data, which it gathers by scanning, crawling, and passive-sensing the internet—including web pages, mobile apps and stores, and social websites and apps. RiskIQ’s crawling technology covers more than 300 million mobile devices, 1.8 billion HTTP sessions, hundreds of locations across the world, 40 million mobile apps, and 600 million domain records.
Industry: Cyber Security News
- IAM Consultant
- Upto €85000 plus benefits
An Identity & Access Management Consultant is needed for an expanding IT Security consultancy, based in France. (Remote role with monthly office meet-ups) The Identity & Access Management Consultant will be responsible for the technical design and implementation of Identity & Access Management/IAM products for a wide variety of clients. Deliver bespoke end-to-end consultancy service to our clients, from gathering requirements through to implementation. Work in a close team designing, developing, and implementing first-class IAM solutions. Manage client relationships, working closely with key stakeholders to continually evaluate business requirements and ensure the highest quality solution delivery. If you are interested we are looking for an individual with Previous experience working within the IAM or CIAM field is essential, Strong knowledge with SAML and Oauth and ideally OpenID Previous experience from any of these technologies: One Identity, SailPoint, Saviynt, Ubisecure, Ping Identity, would be advantageous
- Ping Identity Support Consultant- IAM Support
- upto €60,000 plus benefits
As the Ping Support specialist, you would be part of a team focused on Single Sign On (SSO) / Federation and Multifactor authentication, protecting our clients from unauthorized access and cyberattacks. The position is to provide 2nd/ 3rd line support, for the following tech. SSO, Federation, Reverse Proxy infrastructure, Apache servers, and its associated components and applications To be responsible for the day to day operational support, performance, tactical lifecycle management, and continuous improvement of the respective IT infrastructure. We are looking for someone with strong SAML and OAuth Knowledge as well as experience supporting the Ping portfolio of solutions Identity, Access, Federate
- IAM Architect Ping Identity, Access Federate
- Up to €110,000 plus benefits
An experienced Ping Identity Architect is needed for this global brand who are looking for someone who wants to join a growing Cyber Security team. We are looking for a senior Architect who can be responsible for the full IAM portfolio, including overseeing all BAU work as well as being responsible for the future strategy and development of the IAM portfolio further development and strategy You will be responsible for ensuring all architectures and best practices within the architecture framework are maintained and developed We are looking for someone with a strong Ping background, in Ping identity, federate, and Access, you will have worked as a senior consultant or architect in previous roles and ideally have some team-leading experience You will have good knowledge of architectural principles and patterns and their implementation into system and software design Experience in handling container technologies, cloud technologies, CI/CD (DevOps) and LDAP
- Security Engineer Contract £600 pd Outside IR35- SIEM, Vulnerability Management, DevSecOps
- United Kingdom
- £600 pd Outside IR35
Security Engineer Contract £600 pd Outside IR35 SIEM, Vulnerability Management, DevSecOps 6 month Contract Hybrid – some travel to London Google Chronicle – SIEM Crowdstike Spotlight – Vulnerability Management Google Cloud Platform - GCP Application security Core areas; Oversight of alerts with any improvement, fine tuning, enriching / use cases. Proactive vulnerability management – Prioritising and engaging with internal teams to remediate Advising / consulting within internal development teams to focus on, embed and evolve security as part of ongoing software / platform development. Push and enhance technical aspects of security forward. Beneficial experience Automation of security / data enrichment Looking to interview and engage ASAP