(ISC)2 Report Finds Cybersecurity Workforce Gap Has Increased to More Than 2.9 Million Globally
Despite 59% of cybersecurity professionals saying the widening workforce gap puts their organizations at risk, a majority of workers report strong job satisfaction and are focused on developing new skills
(ISC)² – the world's largest nonprofit association of certified cybersecurity professionals – today announced the findings of the 2018 (ISC)2 Cybersecurity Workforce Study. The research shows a widening of the global cybersecurity workforce gap to nearly three million across North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
The 2018 (ISC)² Cybersecurity Workforce Study (formerly the Global Information Security Workforce Study) is based on feedback from a broader, more representative sample of the men and women responsible for securing their organizations around the world. This includes many IT/ICT staff within organizations ranging from large enterprises to small businesses who may or may not have formal cybersecurity roles but do have hands-on responsibility for securing critical assets every day – spending at least 25% of their time on such activities. Their views and opinions create a more realistic representation of the cybersecurity challenges and opportunities the industry faces around the globe.
"This research is essential to fostering a clearer understanding of who makes up the larger pool of cybersecurity workers and enables us to better tailor our professional development programs for the men and women securing organizations day in and day out," said (ISC)2 CEO David Shearer, CISSP. "We will share these powerful insights with our partners in government and the private sector to help establish the programs necessary to advance the cybersecurity profession. By broadening our view of the workforce to include those with collateral cybersecurity duties within IT and ICT teams, we discovered that professionals are still facing familiar challenges, but also found striking differences compared to previous research, including a younger workforce and greater representation of women."
Key insights revealed in the study include:
- Of the 2.93 million overall gap, the Asia-Pacific region is experiencing the highest shortage, at 2.14 million, in part thanks to its growing economies and new cybersecurity and data privacy legislation being enacted throughout the region
- North America has the next highest gap number at 498,000, while EMEA and Latin America contribute a 142,000 and 136,000 staffing shortfall, respectively
- 63% of respondents report that their organizations have a shortage of IT staff dedicated to cybersecurity. 59% say their companies are at moderate or extreme risk of cybersecurity attacks due to this shortage.
- 48% of respondents say their organizations plan to increase cybersecurity staffing over the next 12 months
- 68% of respondents say they are either very or somewhat satisfied in their current job
- Women represent 24% of this broader cybersecurity workforce (compared to 11% from previous studies), while 35% are Millennial or Gen Y (compared to less than 20% from previous studies)
- More than half of all respondents globally (54%) are either pursuing cybersecurity certifications or plan to within the next year
- Some of the biggest career progression challenges respondents reported are:
- Unclear career paths for cybersecurity roles (34%)
- Lack of organizational knowledge of cybersecurity skills (32%)
- The cost of education to prepare for a cybersecurity career (28%)
- The four areas cybersecurity pros feel they will need to develop most or improve on over the next two years in order to advance in their careers include:
- Cloud computing security
- Penetration testing
- Threat intelligence analysis
- M&E Project Manager
- £35,000 - £65,000 + Bonus + Benefits
M&E Project Manager with a Data centre / Construction / Mission Crticial background is needed in London area to join a leading Data Centre business. The M&E Project Manager MUST have experience working in data centre or mission critical project environments for a minimum of 2 years The M&E Project Manager will be responsible for planning, controlling and coordinating the delivery of various construction and business as usual projects. Ensuring work keeps to deadlines and within cost parameters. You will be responsible for overseeing projects worth over £5 million from start to finish, managing suppliers and contractors. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to build a career working for an internationally recoginised brand who truely belive in staff development and progression. Reference Number: PG7448
- Marketing Specialist
- £35k - £37k + Bonus + Excellent Benefits
My client, a leading name in the IT industry, are seeking a Marketing Specialist to join their team. This is an excellent role for someone looking to develop themselves in a diverse role with resposnbilites and authority with the real chance to make change and have an effect on a global business. Required Experience: 5+ Years in Marketing + Public Relations Experience organising and running campaigns and events. Content Creation - Social Media, Website and Blogs Email Campaigns A degree in Marketing, Business admin or related subject Marketing qualification, ideally CIM. IT / Telecoms Background prefered but not essential. Reference: PG7447
- ServiceNow Administrator (Contract)
- £350 Per Day
We are currently working on behalf of a London based service provider who are on the look out for a ServiceNow Administrator for a 6 month initial contract The ServiceNow Administrator will be responsible for supporting, configuring, scripting & integrating the ServiceNow ITSM (IT Service Management) tool. Requirements Current ServiceNow ITSM (IT Service Management) experience is a MUST Current experience within an IT service provider A Certified ServiceNow System Administrator certification isn’t a must be extremely beneficial Day Rate: £350 Per Day Reference Number: BD7439a
- Cyber Security Sales
- £120,000 – £140,000 OTE
£120k - £140k OTE Sales Account Management / New Business in the London / Reading area. This opportunity comes with existing accounts with internal sales support. MUST have the ability to develop New business as well as help existing accounts. Experience selling Solution and Managed service experience preferred e.g. Check Point, Palo Alto, F5, etc. Must be UK based and ideally able to achieve SC clearance DCL Search & Selection Exclusive and looking to hire ASAP. Contact me for more info 07884666351 / chris.holt@DCLSearch.com Reference Number: CH7444